Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yes I do Listen to Garrison Keillor. What?!

I’m sitting on a public bench by the water right now
The Schuylkill River
In a famous city that I don’t know very well.

Except:
Back in the day, Ben Franklin and some folks got bout about here.
and
I’ve never really liked this city’s sports fans.

But it turns out that I like their city.
I’m surprised at how easy it is to get around.
I have no map.
I came with no plan.
But I can walk around and tell myself
I’ve Seen This City.
I travelled here and I am better for it.

The river shimmers.
And every minute or so a jogger passes by.

It seems like lots of people live in this city.
Which is more than I can say for the city whose sports teams I root for.

This is their “Hidden River.”

It says so on a sign.
"Come Enjoy The Schuylkill. Our Hidden River."

And with bridges and bike paths and street lamps,
Well,
It seems to me to be more of a “Celebrated Unknown.”

I just made that up
While sitting here by the shimmering river
In the famous city
I didn’t know very well
Whose sports fans,
that I don’t like very much,
Left a bench
For me to sit on
-Should I ever choose to visit-
And enjoy their shimmering river.

No comments:

Post a Comment